Monday, January 7, 2008

Mr. MS Himself, Montel Williams

My lucky life took me to New York City last weekend. On the way home at Laguardia Airport I had the pleasure to briefly meet Montel Williams. After trying to get home on an earlier flight, the neighboring gate was deplaning. Steve, my partner, noticed him and said I should go talk to him. I shy away from approaching stars. They just want to be left alone. After about 120 feet of persuasion from Steve and building my courage, I did approach him after another woman briefly spoke to him.

"Mr. Williams," I said, "I just wanted to thank you for all you are doing for MS. I have it too. " He was quite friendly and conversational. He said to keep up the fight and then also talked about the fact that there are some new treatments just around the corner. He talked about the possibility of a cocktail that would prove effective for people struggling with the disease.

I said that I don't have the disease that badly. I told him that my diagnosis motivated me to do something. Fundraising.

Following Montel, you could tell he was affected by MS. I am a fan of Montel Williams. He is strong and outspoken and in all of his appearances, you would not realize he has MS.

We chit chatted a little bit and he asked about what medication I was on... I said Copaxone.

Montel was nice and positive. At the close of our conversation, he said to check out his
Website to get some more information about how he is supporting the disease. So have a look. http://www.montelms.org/ Montel heavily supports the medical community in finding a cure for this disease and 100% of your contributions go toward the cause.

Not only was this fan glad to meet you, Mr. Williams, as even one other person whom I noticed grabbed your attention after I left you. Everyone is impressed with your struggle, courage, and leadership in what you are doing to find a cure for this disease.

Make sure you have a look at his site. Take notice of the section called Take Action: Montel Williams on Medical Marijauna. With all the experiments drug companies get to do in concocting drugs to sell, and the sometimes harmful and deadly side effects they have to explain in their commercials, I know that for the people who marijauna helps, there is no reason they need to be considered criminals. Like Montel, I don't condone breaking the law, but consider this. After you have a few cocktails to unwind from a hard day, look me or someone suffering the effects of MS in the eye, and tell them they should not be using this effective safe "drug." Then for my arguments sake, be prepared to never drink again!

This is MYMS.

1 comment:

Esther said...

Hey Doug:
I'm so glad Steve convinced you to talk to Montel Williams. I know how persuasive he can be. If it weren't for his constant encouragement I never would have started my blog!

I understand what you mean about not wanting to bother people, but I bet it kind of energizes Montel Williams to hear from average, everyday people coping with MS. He knows he's helping people, and your comments are the ones that spur him on, maybe keep him from getting discouraged. So I'm glad you spoke up!

My mother didn't have MS, but she had a lot of other painful ailments before she passed away, so I saw firsthand that the medical community doesn't always do a very good job of treating pain. I also have other friends who suffer from chronic, painful conditions. So I know how debilitating it can be. I agree with you, that you don't want to condone lawbreaking, but if marijuana helps someone, and doesn't hurt anyone else, why not let them use it?

Keep writing!