Sunday, May 4, 2008

New Camp 2008

I have been telling people that I am not looking forward to camp this year. Last year, I was not looking forward to it because I had no idea what to expect. This year, I knew exactly what to expect, so that is why I was not looking forward to it.

Upon arrival at Camp Courage, I fell right back into it. Seeing all of my past friends I made last year (volunteers) and actually many more. I think we have more volunteers this year. My negative energy quickly turned to eagerness to get the week started. Our training we all get was a welcome review not only for me a 1 year vetran, but the volunteers of 20 years as well.

This year we learned how to take better care of ourselves with transfers of campers and how not to hurt ourselves. I learned that the nursing profession has surpassed injuries and loss time accidents than the construction industry. Health care is actually a dangerous business for caregivers. The training was great for anyone who cares for anyone else.

My greatest challenge so far at camp was snoring. 3:15 am my fellow volunteers are louder than the nearby freight trains near the camp. At 11am campers will begin to arrive. Tonight, I remember, and I am told that the snoring will be even worse.

This is mymsdouglyon Sunday Morning at MS Camp 2008.

2 comments:

Esther said...

Doug,
Good luck this week. I know what you're doing is tough physically and emotionally, and I admire you so much for it. I know all the campers appreciate everything you're doing. I'm proud you're my friend! I'm looking forward to reading more, and seeing you soon.
Love,
Esther

Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

Hey McL: Glad to hear you're back in the groove. They are very fortunate to have you and other dedicated volunteers ready to help those with MS. You really are my hero!