Wednesday, May 16, 2007

The one week career

I didn't realize it until I spoke to a friend who has been in her new job for about 8 months, but the camp cycle is similar.

I interviewed and had a background check to make sure I was not a murderer, molester or such, and to make sure I was a good candidate. Do you feel that you could do all of this? Yes.

Before you start your job, you get intense training on how to be successful, work with your new team, and campers, and how to properly perform tasks. They call that orientation. Then there is the peer training, where your fellow volunteers scare the crap out of you the night before the campers arrive on what camp is actually going to be like.

So after the first week of the job, you are wondering if you will ever be good at, excel at your job, and if your peers will ever respect you for the job you are doing.

In one week you go from orientation to productivity to performance review. Not much time, but I can honestly say...."I love this job!"

This is MY MS
Doug Lyon

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I never thought about it, but I guess your week at camp was like starting a new job!

From what you've written so far, it sounds like you had a very emotional experience. But in the end, it sounds like it was also a very rewarding one.

I just have to commend you for volunteering, for giving so much of yourself to help other people. So many people would just sit back and let someone else do it. You're a pretty great person!

Anonymous said...

You did an awesome job!!!! We love you, the campers love you and we KNOW you will be what we call a "lifer".

You had great stories, for a "rookie" that is!!! ;)

Of course well all know that you are no longer a rookie.