Thursday, May 10, 2007

MS Camp Volunteer Day 1 May 5, 2007

Lots of rules today. Our initial orientation was about everything we will be seeing, doing, and what we need to be successful. Lots of experienced volunteers here too, who have all gone out of their way to make sure us new volunteers feel welcome and comfortable with what will be happening.

I was trained on “Transfers and Lifts” how, with the Hoyer lift, to help those who cannot walk. It allows them to be able to lift people properly and safely with those machines. Also the whole safety and liability stuff. What is appropriate or not and the etc.

Our cabin meeting this afternoon was a discussion of the 11 campers who will be with us, their level of disability, meds, allergies, and everything about their MS. I also appreciate as I am writing about my experience too, how everyone is confidential, and rightly so, about privacy of the people, their treatment and or specifics of care. There is quite a premium on making this a great positive experience for everyone.

This is Doug Lyon MY MS

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Doug:

Steve told me about your blog.

What a touching, heartfelt, honest account. I work with someone who has MS and I know someone whose mother has it. But I've never listened to anyone talk about what it's like. So please keep writing. I'd like to hear more about your experiences at camp.

And by the way, Henne and Fargo are absolutely adorable!

MYMS said...

Thank you so much, Esther. I look forward to getting more of the information about the camp on the log soon.